User:DavidWhitten/Wgraph Install Notes
One thing that could have helped would be ways to test things. like to find out whether ImageMagick (convert) was installed, I had to look until I found the source code for ImageMagick.
I used the command: wget ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/ImageMagick.tar.gz
I had to installed ImageMagick under the user I was using, rather than installed for the entire website. Let's pretend the user name was fooimg. I had to create a "local" directory under the /home/fooimg since I couldn't put anything in /usr/local on this machine. I used the command: mkdir local
And when I did the command install command for ImageMagick, I could not just say ./configure
like the instructions said, but I had to instead type ./configure --prefix=/home/fooimg/local/ ( by the way ./configure --prefix=~/local did NOT work, because the "configure" program wanted the actual place on disk to put into its generated script files. )
Then I had to use "make" to create the convert program...
The above steps are show in the following log of my command history:
16 mkdir local 17 cd ImageMagick-6.3.8/ 18 ./configure --prefix=~/local 19 pwd 20 ./configure --prefix=/home/fooimg/local/ 21 cd .. 22 ls local/ 23 cd ImageMagick-6.3.8/ 24 make 25 cd .. 26 ls local/
I tried to install it, and it complained (but might have actually done what I need. I was surprised to find the stuff in the local directory later on:
27 cd ImageMagick-6.3.8/ 28 make install
I ultimate got the computer to find the convert program for me, since I didn't know where it was put:
34 find . -print | grep convert 35 ./utilities/convert
I was doing this, because I wanted Wgraph (and mediawiki) to use the convert program to make thumbnails.
I used tar with xvzf (extract,verbose,compressed file) on the file I got here : aiSee_linux.tgz ((Thanks by the way))
127 wget http://www.absint.com/dla/wgraph/aiSee_linux.tgz 128 tar xvzf /home/visvis/aiSee_linux.tgz 129 ls 130 cd aiSee/ 131 ls 132 lynx . 133 ./setup
I had already purchased a license for aiSee for a different project, by the way. by the way, this created a directory named aiSee which I later had to rename as aisee (without the capital letter) because somewhere the directory was referenced without the capital letter.
I tried running bin/aisee.bin and it complained about libXext not being available. I had to use apt-get to retrieve it (since I don't run X windows on this server)
I got your Recode executable and moved it into the bin directory under /home/fooimg/public_html/Wgraph
mv recode ../Wgraph/linux/bin/
I did a lot of stuff, and I have the log which means I can tell you the steps, but just remember, I started from scratch, no mediawiki, no wgraph, no aisee, no ImageMagick, no X-windows extension library so I probably had to do stuff which a lot of people might not need to do.